The Future Evel Knievel

So my child has no fear. None. Zilch. Zero. I am certain the empty role that Evel Knievel left behind upon his passing (rip) will soon be filled by my young daredevil daughter.
Much to my dismay.
A little insight to my personality. I am NOT the daredevil. I am about as far from daredevil as you can get. I can barely Watch daredevils on TV and certainly have a supreme difficult time in handling my daughter's risk taking. This is my husband's role and I like this clear, safe division.

However- I recognize that this is a unique trait in my daughter and that a good mom should allow her the freedom and excitement to pursue her daredevil activities. It scares the crap out of me and I have noticed that she is pushing even my limits. And she is only 2.
One case example- the beach. She is barely 2 feet tall at 2 and she is marching into the ocean heading into waves larger than her stating "Come On, mommy".
"Come on" my *%@. 
By the way, a small aside on this- the beach is No Place for OCD people. On top of corralling my child, I am constantly removing sand from both of us and trying to maintain one clean corner of a towel for eye/nose wiping. It's an endless process and our luggage right now could be used in any daycare for a mini sandpit after just 3 days at the beach. Yuck.
So back to the topic...
At the pool, she doesn't wait for the wonderful safe pink swimmies I bought for her but just jumps off the edge shouting "weeeeee!!!". Of course I have to dive right in after her since she promptly sinks to the bottom.
Heights are no match for her and any couch, table, chair, tailgate is game for launching off of in full leap. No matter how high.
Did I mention "much to my dismay"?
Now I guess I would not want her to be super scared and timid all the time. But a gray area here would be nice, at least one where I don't get the crap scared out of me as I am diving over waves with her in tow.
I know part of the role of our children is to help us break our molds and get outside of our comfortable square boxes especially those of us who have particularly square boxes. I see the look on people's faces who do not have kids thinking "how in the world are you going to manage that??"
Oddly enough, sometimes, I find it a little exciting. Don't tell my husband. I am trying my best to re-experience life through my daughter's eyes and trying not to be so scared. It's difficult though, with the sand in my ears and waves crashing in my face. But looking at my daughter's face with a smile from ear to ear and giggling loudly, I try to enjoy the moment. Although her laughter I would deem to be crazy laughter, I know the day will come that she will Not want to cling to my side and splash in the waves with me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Barbados: The Dog

Barbados Life: If You Need to Pay Your Power Bill

Barbados Life: Huffman Edwards takes World Rally Championship Ladies' Cup