I'm This Many

We are learning numbers. And I say "we" because I feel that with every concept that my daughter is learning it becomes a learning experience for me as well. I'm sure also, as she gets older they will truly become learning experiences in the basic way as well (can't wait for Algebra again!!).

She is learning numbers at an age that again, confirms our decision to put her in school. I personally wouldn't have thought to expose her to numbers until she was 5 at least (she's now 3), but I guess that's why I wound up in IT and not as a school teacher. :-) She is super excited about learning them which I am happy to see.

Her excitement is exciting for me and any chance to encourage this learning of numbers, I'm all about. She even called me into her room after going to bed last night to show me in a book the number 4. She seemed so enthused I couldn't help but be supportive although she should have been sleeping by that point. I proceeded to use the number 4 in several examples and then asked her how old her neighbor friend was (she is 4) and she enthusiastically held up 4 fingers and said This Many!
I found this interesting- when we talk about anything else, she will say the number but with age, she always uses her fingers. She then asked How Many Fingers was one of her sisters? I showed her nine. She said 'woah'. Then she asked how many fingers the other sister was (they are twins btw) and I showed nine again. She said 'oh, I see'.
Then she asked 'Mama, how many fingers are you?'
Sigh. Being an older mom, and nearing 40 I am starting to be slightly bashful about my age, but again to encourage my daughter's learnings, I tell her 'i'm a lot more than 4'.
She's insistent though- 'mama How Many? Show me'.
So I hold up 3 fingers then 8 fingers and tell her "38". She doesn't really respond, to which I am grateful. To get another 'woah' probably would have been more than I wanted to hear. But classic Naomi, she then asks how many daddy is. I show 3 and then 9 and she says 'that's a lot!'
I laughed. Shawn is only 2 1/2 months older than me, but in her eyes, all those fingers seemed so much to her.

But this also put my bashfulness in perspective, to my daughter I'm only 3 fingers and 8, which is exactly what I am right now and shouldn't I be excited about this as much as she is about the number 4? My excitement will be contagious to her and I wouldn't want my daughter at 38 saying 'i'm so old!'
As her excitement has been contagious to me. So as I mentioned 'we' are learning numbers. Some of us are learning maybe a little more than numbers which is also a good thing. And although my age is not one I would like to show on my fingers, Shawn will always be 2 1/2 months older than me. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Barbados: The Dog

Barbados Life: If You Need to Pay Your Power Bill

Barbados Life: Huffman Edwards takes World Rally Championship Ladies' Cup